Wednesday, April 8, 2009

my Rock.

I have been terrible about updating! I feel like I just updated this blog last week, but it looks like it's been several weeks. Oops!

My days here have been full and rich. God is good. God is faithful. He is graciously guiding me through every circumstance...those new, painfully familiar, happy, uncomfortable, difficult, sad, lonely, joyful, and exciting. To say I am blessed seems insufficient. I am overwhelmed by the goodness, kindness, faithfulness, and love of my Savior. The closer I grow to Christ, the more beautiful and thrilling this adventure of life becomes.

A year ago, I didn't imagine myself living in Paraguay. A year from now, I don't know where I'll be or what I'll be doing. During my Christmas break in the United States, I was very unsettled by the idea of the unknown and indefinite future. It wasn't about traveling to another country, it was about living in a state of complete surrender before Christ. Where would God call me next? What is His next mission for me? What if He called me to do____? I wondered when life was going to 'go back to normal.' I wondered,''Will life always seem this risky?'' I was searching for a little more security and a little less uncertainty. I loved and still do love my mission here in Paraguay. It's the BEST thing I've ever experienced. However, there have been some really hard days. Knowing that God clearly called me here has helped sustain me and has encouraged me to continue to serve Him here. My decision to follow God's calling here felt like jumping off a cliff. I had to take a step and fall freely into the unknown. What I didn't know, God knew. That's the best part. My life radically changed the day I said yes to God's question ''Will you go and do whatever I ask of you?'' The changes that occurred following that decision were bigger and deeper than anything I had experienced before. I realized how much I really liked comfort. It seemed so much safer. ''Where did it go?'' and ''When will it come back?'' were questions I frequently asked myself. Stability. Assurance. Comfort. Ease. My flesh had longed to see those again someday.
As one author wrote, ''Coming into a relationship with Jesus is, indeed, like C.S. Lewis described--falling out of the back of a wardrobe into the fresh wonder of a whole new world where anything can happen.''

God has been showing me over and over again that He is not finished with me yet. There is much more unsettling to be done. When we live with Christ, I don't believe we ever really settle down. He is constantly changing us, working in us to complete His plan. Whether I live in the same place for 30 years or not, God's love will always compel me to move forward in pursuit of Him.

The hope I have is that God is the Unchangeable One, and His Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter. When the winds of change blow, He alone is my steady Rock. God is actively calling us to follow Him! God's glory shines much brighter when I have fully surrendered my life...every last ounce...before Him.

''Let your roots grow down into Him and draw up nourishment from Him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all He has done.'' Colossians 2:7

''My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him.'' Psalm 62:5

''The eternal God is your refuge, and His everlasting arms are under you.'' Deuteronomy 33:27

Come what may, God is faithful and true.

All of my life
in every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship.
(hillsong.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers. Keep them coming! :)

Be blessed this week. HE LIVES!

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Emmy,

Your words are truly inspiring! We really enjoy reading your blog, so keep up the good work! The pictures are great too!

We really miss you and can't wait to see you again. We will be praying for you.

Love,
Stephen & Mia

PS I think you should write a book!