Sunday, September 26, 2010

a growing church.

I am constantly thinking about the people of Paraguay and Argentina and reminiscing about my time spent in their presence. It was a defining year in my life. I am forever changed.

This past June, I went back to Encarnacion, Paraguay and Posadas, Argentina to visit my friends whom I came to love as family. I arrived in Paraguay exactly a year after I had moved back to the States. A year had passed, yet it only felt like a month. I slipped right into the culture again. It was great to be back. I was quickly reminded of why I love that place so much.

The two churches in Encarnacion and Posadas have grown exponentially. They have both moved into newer buildings that are much more accommodating to the size and day-to-day operations of the churches. I visited the women's Bible study group in Encarnacion one afternoon. They were completing their study on the Fruit of the Spirit. They each had their own books thanks to the women's Bible study group from Memorial Presbyterian Church in West Palm Beach who donated them! They expressed to me their gratitude and how the books were very instrumental in their spiritual growth. The people there don't have easy access to those materials. They are difficult to find and expensive to buy. It was great to see how God used the gifts of a few Florida women changed the lives of dozens of Paraguayan women and their families. The ladies in Argentina recently began studying the same material, and they've told me that it has had a profound impact on the women of their church.

The church in Ita Paso, the nearby village, is continuing to transform the younger generation and break the cycle of crime, drugs, broken families, and poverty. They are keeping kids off the streets and giving them an education, hot meals, practical life skills training, and music instruction. Two missionaries from Brazil have dedicated their lives to the work in Ita Paso. They constantly send me updates on new programs they are starting for the youth of the village. I believe GREATER things are still to come from the people there.

The church in Encarnacion is also starting a church in a nearby neighborhood called San Isidro. The majority of the people in that town don't have means of transportation to get to Encarnacion. Public transportation doesn't run at the same times the church services do, so Doni Franz decided to bring the church to them. They have begun with a weekly children's outreach which has drawn hundreds neighborhood kids and their families. I was able to participate in one of the outreach days while I was there in June. I had so much fun teaching the kids new songs and meeting many of their parents.

I spent most of my vacation time working with the youth ministry of the church in Encarnacion. It's growing leaps and bounds. More kids are involved in the church's youth programs than ever before! My good friend Ariel Boveda is the youth leader. I lived with his family for part of the time I was in Paraguay last year. He has a passionate heart, and he works tirelessly to reach as many kids as possible. He and his wife have great vision for what God can do through the youth of their city. Ariel also works at his family's bakery, so he is very busy! Ariel started an outreach to the schools of Encarnacion about a year ago. Ariel and a team of other young people have started going into five area schools on a weekly basis to give talks on various topics that concern their youth culture. There isn't any moral education in Paraguayan schools, public or private. The kids are extremely receptive to Ariel's talks and presentations. Many administrators are overwhelmed by the number of students dealing with issues concerning suicide, drugs, and eating disorders. They have eagerly invited Ariel to come speak to their students to help with their problems. I had the privilege of visiting three different schools in June, and I saw the hunger in their eyes for God. I was so amazed at how quiet and attentive the students were during every second of Ariel's talks. I was even able to share a little bit of my story with one of the schools. As I listened to Ariel talk with the kids, I observed the hunger in the students' eyes for someone to care, someone to listen, someone to love them. Many of these kids come from broken homes, and very few have anyone to guide them in a positive direction. After one of the presentations, I watched Ariel give big hugs to any student who wanted one. They were crying as they embraced him because it was something that they didn't receive at home. I was in tears during every presentation because I saw these kids, young and vulnerable, crying out for something to hope for...something to live for. I strongly believe in what the church is doing to impact a new generation for Christ.

With the growing ministry, there comes added costs. The biggest need is a car for Ariel. His old van caught on fire a few months ago, and he has since been borrowing Doni's (the pastor) car on the weekends. He uses Doni's car to help transport many kids who attend the youth events and meetings on the weekends. Without a ride, these kids wouldn't be able to attend the youth meetings. These meetings are life-changing, not to mention that they keep them off the streets. I saw first-hand the importance and necessity of a car for the youth leader. I know what a difference that would make for their ministry. Ariel would be able to visit more schools during the week and bring more kids safely to the church events on the weekends. Doni and I spoke about some of the greatest and most immediate needs for his church's ministries, and Doni said a car for Ariel is at the top right now. Cars, especially used cars, are much cheaper to buy in Paraguay than in the U.S. It would only take a few thousand dollars to buy a large van for Ariel.

I knew I had to help. You can, too. Your gift will change lives. Consider it.

Tax deductible donations can be sent to:

Florida Church of God Ministries
5826 Hoffner Avenue #1001
Orlando, FL 32822


Make all checks payable to Florida Church of God Ministries.
Please specify "Encarnacion, Paraguay Church" on the note line of the check.

You will receive a receipt for your donation. Be sure to include your address if it is not listed on the check. Please message me via this blog if you have any questions.

Love to all.
Emily

Below you'll see some pictures of my trip this summer.

(I'm currently living in New York City. I am busy teaching school, exploring the city, throwing dinner parties in my tiny apartment, meeting new people, riding the subways, and serving at my local church.)


Ariel. Me. Samuel. @ Samuel's birthday party!
with friends @ a surprise party they threw for me!
the new church building
Ariel leading a youth Bible study in the Garcia's home
Nancy & Gloria with their Bible study books
Ariel & his team
visiting one of the schools
David speaking to the students.
Pastor Aurio's kids
I'm here (slightly hidden) with the students of Juan XXIII
Ariel speaking with the students
Ariel's daughter Dulce eating a snack with the kids in San Isidro
Some of the kids in San Isidro



1 comment:

Stephen Ley said...

Thanks for the update. Especially the part about how the MPC family was able to very practically minister to the Body of Christ in the Guay. Encouraging!