Friday, September 19, 2008

the best is yet to come.

Slowly, but surely I am adjusting to life here. God has placed so many wonderful people in my path to let me know He is with me every step of the way. Every day holds a new adventure. There are new experiences, new people, new places...new everything! Sometimes, I have to pinch myself because I can´t really believe I´m living in Paraguay! I never imagined my life would take this course, but I will forever be grateful for this experience. When I finally return to the States, I will undoubtedly be a changed person. At times, I feel lost, confused, and misunderstood. There is a verse that encourages me every time I feel this way:
¨I will lead the blind by a way they do not know,
In paths they do not know I will guide them.
I will make darkness into light before them
And rugged places into plains.
These are the things I will do,
And I will not leave them undone.¨ Isaiah 42:16

I am encouraged by the work that I already see happening here. The people in the church are impacting this culture in an incredible way. They are bringing truth to some of the poorest, darkest, most desperate places in this country. I see it as a war or a battle...a battle for their hearts. Many of the people here are living in darkness. They are trapped, and they don´t see a way out. God has given me compassion for these people and a desire to see them set free. My heart breaks for them. I am happy that I can join the work that is happening here. I know there is no limit to what God can do in the lives of these people and children. A quote from Frederick Buechner best captures why I believe God brought me here:
¨The place God has for you is the place where your deep gladness and the world´s deep hunger meet.¨

It´s funny how foreigners perceive American life. They always ask me if I miss eating hamburgers, or if I´ve ever been to Disney World. For many people here, their lifelong dream is to travel to the United States. I am realizing that the entire world has its eyes on America. They watch our movies, they listen to our music, and they read about our politics. Every day someone asks me if I´ve heard about some current event in the United States. They know about it before I do! I spent some time talking with a Peace Corps volunteer who attends my church here in Encarnacion. A native of Tennessee, he has spent almost 27 months in Paraguay. Talking with him helped me better understand the culture here. He gave me lots of helpful tips on living here!

A woman in the church has invited me over to her house tonight for pizza. A lot of people try to serve me pizza because they know we consume a lot of pizza in the U.S. I love it, so I´m happy when they cook it for me! A few people were shocked to discover that we don´t eat eggs and ham on our hamburgers in the States. It´s a little strange, but I´m used to eating them like that now. Milk comes in a bag...very inconvenient. People go to the grocery store EVERY day. I don´t understand why they don´t buy more than they need for one day, but no one seems to mind their daily trip to the store.

Tomorrow night I´m going to a fiesta for the official start of Spring! (The seasons are backwards in the southern hemisphere.) The people are looking forward to warmer weather because it´s been pretty chilly for months. I have to say that I am looking forward to having two summers this year! Spring means more soccer...and more soccer means more celebrating! I can barely fall asleep some nights because people are honking and blaring music in the street until the early morning hours. To say that they are excited when Paraguay wins is an understatement. It beats enthusiasm for college football.

I had to walk 25 minutes to type this at an internet kiosk in a grocery store. I better get going soon because a big storm is going to blow through.

Continue to pray. I am confident that God hears you.

¨Let the chains be broken
Lives be healed
Eyes be opened
Christ is revealed.¨ -Hillsong United

I promise to have pictures soon!

Blessings times 1,000,
Emily

3 comments:

Esther Bratton said...

Once AGIAN I am both tearing up and encouraged by your words. I, of course, worry about you because you are a friend in Christ but He always has a way of reminding me that what safer place could you be in than His hand. I am confident that your are in His hands and I will continue to pray for you and the people in Guay that your heart so longs to help. I can't wait for those pictures!!! Oh, and I love it; that they are always feeding you pizza. How does it match up to Papa John's ?!! LOVE YOU!111111111

Julia said...

you continue to inspire not only those you work with in Guay, but those who are reading your words! I echo Esther's words completely. Love you little :)

gloria said...

Hey Emm...what a great opportunity God has provided you! I love reading your blogs and finding out what is going on down there. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Things here are good...RUSH week at TKA...pray! love you!